Thursday, September 18, 2014

Ice Cream Social "World's Darkest Chocolate"


Hello Everyone, my name is Abbey Kimball and I admit it..I'm an Ice Cream fanatic! My all time, number one, favorite brand of Ice Cream EVER is Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream based out of Ohio. If you haven't tried it before go...NOW! It will change your life and open up a new world of Ice Cream loveliness. My wonderful and lovely boyfriend took notice in my Ice Cream obsession and bought me Jeni's cookbook, as well as an Ice Cream machine for my birthday. I WENT ICE CREAM CRAZY people! Chocolate is also one of my sweet loves, dark to be exact, so when you put the two together I'm sold. One of Jeni's famous flavors is, "Worlds Darkest Chocolate." I tried this flavor out myself, at home, using Jeni's cookbook, and let me tell ya...it was FANTASTIC. Every element in a sweet treat I love. I hope you guys find this useful and take my tips and tricks to create your own Ice Cream masterpiece. Happy Ice Cream making. ps. This is a great Ice Cream to try if you're a beginner. Let me know if this is helpful!

Let's get started! First off, Jeni uses the best of the best when it comes to ingredients. However, this will be made by you, in your home, so feel free to try whatever personally like. To make this Ice Cream you will need the ingredients listed and pictured below:

  • 1/2 of unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 of brewed coffee(now this may scare some of you away, but trust me you can't taste the coffee at ALL).
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1.5 ounces of bittersweet chocolate
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 Tablespoon plus 1 Teaspoon cornstarch 
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cups of sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup    


You want to have a really fresh heavy cream and whole milk because it can make or break an Ice Cream considering it's the base.

To begin mix your cocoa powder, coffee, and 1/2 of cup of sugar into a saucepan. Put this on high heat until it boils. Leave on the burner for a few seconds then remove from heat. Next, add your chocolate. It helps if you chop it up into pieces.   


    
When the chocolate is added let it sit for a few minutes then stir till smooth.

Set that aside for awhile and get out your cream cheese. Put this in a medium bowl. Whisk that around a little, then pour in the chocolate mixture.
 
At this point you want to combine the two until smooth..also add a pinch of sea salt. Set aside.

In a saucepan combine your milk,cream,the remaining sugar, and corn syrup. Bring the base to a boil for about 4 minutes (CAUTION: this can burn and overflow. Permission to watch your pot). After this remove from heat. In a small bowl combine cornstarch and 2 Tablespoons of milk to make a slurry. Then slowly whisk the slurry into the cream mixture. Return to heat for about one more minute.

When you complete this, combine your chocolate mixture and cream mixture...mixing till smooth. Ta-da this is your Ice-Cream in liquid form. I'm a messy cook...
Finally, put you liquid Ice Cream into a jar or a plastic bag. 
You're almost done. Since the Ice Cream is still warm you need to chill it in an ice bath for about 30 minutes till cool. 

Once the base is cool pour it into your Ice Cream machine...make sure your machine is super cold or this will be a total fail. Trust me I know...


Let the machine work its magic. It took me about 25 minutes until my Ice Cream was complete. 
At this point you will have a soft serve so put the Ice Cream in the freezer for about 4 hours until hardened.

Hope you all found this helpful and try it for yourself! I do not own this recipe. All credits go to Jeni's Ice Cream and her cookbook. However, I really enjoyed making this Ice Cream and eating it too. Let me know if you try it. Happy Ice Cream making(: -Abbey Shae  







No comments:

Post a Comment